Age UK Warwickshire - Befriending Plus Programme
Volunteers will receive Age UK Warwickshire training covering a range skills and knowledge enabling them to identify other issues such as dementia or mental health to refer on to other services, either within Age UK Warwickshire or another provider. Volunteer visits will be time limited for up to 6 months per customer so as not to create a culture of dependency.
Project Aims are as follows:
- To deliver a Befriending Plus service to Orbit customers aged 55+ living in Stratford District to reduce isolation and chronic loneliness.
- Support older Orbit customers to make meaningful and lasting connections within their local communities.
- Empower customers to become active citizens and have a say in everything that affects their daily lives.
- To improve the mental health and wellbeing of vulnerable older customers.
- Signpost customers where appropriate to other relevant services such as Orbit Tenancy Support and Age UK Warwickshire’s Counselling service.
Referrals will be generated through a number of channels.
PLEDGED SO FAR
BY 1 VOLUNTEERS
BY THE AMOUNT OF HOURS PLEDGED ON THE PROJECT TO DATE
About this Project
No-one should have no-one. Age UK Warwickshire are working in partnership with Orbit Heart of England to provide a Befriending Plus Service for customers aged 55+ who are experiencing loneliness and isolation. The aim is to support customers to make meaningful and lasting connections within their local communities within a 6 month time-frame. As the customer becomes more integrated and confident so the need for befriending should decline.
Supporting older Orbit customers for 1 – 2hours on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis for up to 6 months.
This support can be provided in various ways eg:
- Visiting customers at home
- Going for short walks
- Visiting local cafes
- Introducing to local activities
- Telephone support
Reduce isolation and lonelinessGoal 1
Improve mental health and well-bringGoal 2
Be part of something special, join this projectVolunteer Now