Universal credit FAQs
How do I make a claim for universal credit?
Online at www.gov.uk/universalcredit Once you’ve started your claim, you can’t stop and go back to it. So make sure you have the following information with you when you start your claim:
- You (and any partner’s) National Insurance number
- Your postcode
- Your email address (if you have one)
- Your landline / mobile phone number (if you have one)
- Your landlord’s name and address (contact us if you’re not sure)
- Your rent (this can be made up of several parts. You can find this information in My Account or your tenancy agreement. If you are not sure, it’s essential you contact us first to find out what you have to put into your claim BEFORE you start
- Details of anyone living with you (you’ll need name, date of birth, age, income)
- Account details of where you’d like payments to be made (account number and sort code)
- The total amount of savings you have
- If you / your partner are working, the estimated gross monthly wage
- Details of any other benefit income
- You MUST select ‘Yes’ when asked if you pay rent. If you get your rent details wrong, then you won’t be paid anything to help cover your housing costs.
When the online form has been submitted, you’ll need to go to your local job centre for an interview. You can contact UC to make an appointment at the end of your claim. You will be told what evidence you need to bring with you to support your claim and what you need to bring as identification.
If you are struggling with anything from money worries, to managing your house, to getting back into work then it might be worth calling us to see if we can lend a hand.