We’ve just released our 2018-19 customer annual report. Click here to read more.


Your rent statement

If you have a tenancy agreement with us, you'll need to pay a rental charge. If you live a residential block, you may also need to pay a service charge - you can find out more by visiting the Your service charge statement page.

If you are struggling to cover your rent payments and other charges, let us know as soon as possible. We offer free support and advice to help you manage your household budget. Find out more by visiting our Better Days website.

Accessing your rent statement

You can access details of charges and payments anytime by logging in to My Account and clicking on 'View account details'.

You will also receive a rent statement by post every three months.

Rental charges

The amount you need to pay is set out in your tenancy agreement and any subsequent letters we send to you about increases or decreases to your charges.

You should pay your rent:

  • every Monday in advance if you’ve chosen to pay your rent weekly; or
  • every month in advance if you’ve chosen to pay monthly.

How are rental charges set?

Assured tenancies

If you have an assured tenancy, your rent calculation is based on:

  • independent property valuations;
  • the number of bedrooms in your property; and
  • the average household incomes for the local authority area (unitary or county-wide).

We follow Government guidelines for setting rents. The guidelines aim to create a fairer system so customers in similar homes are charged at similar levels, whether they rent from a housing association or council.

Secure tenancies

If you have a secure tenancy, the maximum level of rent that can be charged ('fair rent') is set independently by the Government's Valuation Office Agency. You may be able to check the fair rent valuation for your property on the website. Your rent is guaranteed not to rise above the fair rent level that has been set.

Changes to rent charges

If your rent or other charges need to change, we will contact you to let you know at least 28 days before the changes take effect.


You can appeal changes to your rent charges by contacting us within 28 days of the date given on the notice communication we send to you. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may be able to appeal to the Government's First Tier Tribunal.

Charges you may see on your statement 

The total rent charge shown on your tenancy agreement or rent increase letter covers different elements. These include:

Rent charge

The rent element covers the cost to us of providing, managing and maintaining your home. This can be paid by Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit. See our information about paying housing costs using benefits.

Service charge

This charge covers the cost of providing and maintaining our services like communal gardening and cleaning. Most costs included in a service charge are eligible for a Housing Benefit payment. This charge is paid at the same time as your rent. Your tenancy agreement provides details of what it includes.

Water rates

We collect water rates for the local water authority at a small number of our homes. Water rates can’t be paid by Housing Benefit.

Heating charges

We supply heating to a small number of homes and communal areas. There’s a charge for this service. Heating charges can’t be paid by Housing Benefit.

Furnished accommodation

We provide furniture for some homes through an extra charge on top of the rent payment.

Other charges

These can include rent for garages or a parking space, or payments towards the Orbit Group home contents insurance scheme. These charges might not be eligible to be paid by Housing Benefit.

Support charges

This covers specific services provided to more vulnerable customers to help them to live independently. Examples include having access to our response unit or being provided with a sheltered housing scheme manager. These services can’t be paid by Housing Benefit.

If you receive housing benefit you might be able to get a supporting people grant. This depends on where you live, as the money is provided by the local council that administers the scheme.

If you don’t get Housing Benefit, you’ll have to pay your support charge. If the responsible council has a fairer charging policy, you can ask the authority to decide if you should have to pay. If you have any questions, please contact us.