Care & Repair

Our Care & Repair service offered in Suffolk can help you to improve, repair or adapt your home to make sure it is a safe and comfortable place to live.

We can help if you’re aged 55 and over or have a disability, whether you own your home or rent from a landlord that isn't Orbit.

Please note, if you rent a home from us, you can request home improvements and adaptations direct from us to support your comfort and independence.

Services offered by Care & Repair offer include:

  • Home repairs and adaptations
  • Handy person service
  • Home safety advice and information
  • Advice and information on paying for building work
  • Housing options 
  • Assistive technology.

We know how important your home is to you. That’s why we provide a range of advice, support and services to help you live in the type of home you want and need, now and long into the future. Our initial advice is always free.

If you live in Suffolk, we can help. Please contact us at:

Suite 4, 1 Northern Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 6NL

Phone: 0800 121 7711

Our services are outlined below.

Home repairs and adaptations

Our priority is to help you to continue to live independently in your home by offering advice and support to fund and install adaptations and make improvements to your home.

These include: 

  • replacing your bathroom and kitchen 
  • provide energy efficiency advice and information 
  • carrying out structural repairs 
  • treating damp and dry rot 
  • fixing drains 
  • renewing windows and doors 
  • removing baths and providing level-access showers
  • improving access in and around your home i.e. installing ramps or widening doorways
  • creating a ground floor bedroom or shower room.

We’ll visit you at home to discuss your options if you’re planning work to your home. We’ll:

  • carry out a home survey to discuss the work you need
  • give you advice and information on how to pay for the repairs or adaptations
  • prepare plans and specifications
  • help you to find a reliable contractor
  • oversee work on site and deal with payments
  • provide support from start to finish.

Occupational therapy service

Our occupational therapy team can provide holistic assessments within your home to identify any difficulties you may have with daily living activities and discuss possible solutions. This may include large adaptations (such as removing a bath and replacing it with a wet room), housing reports to support you in moving to a more suitable home which better meets your needs, or providing advice or signposting you to other agencies who are able to assist you.

Handy person service

Our handy person scheme can help you carry out minor repairs and adaptations to your home.

You can use this service if you’re:

  • over the age of 55; or
  • have a disability or long-term health issue.

We’ll charge you a small amount for the work we do, and ask you to pay for the materials we use. We’ll agree the costs with you before we start work.

We can:

  • put up curtain rails, shelving and pictures
  • repair doors and windows
  • do plaster work, minor brickwork, plumbing and carpentry
  • install grab or stair rails
  • repair floors
  • fix minor guttering problems (low level only)
  • install key safes
  • insulate and install draught proofing.

This scheme is available to you if you’re aged 55 or above, or if you have a disability.

Home safety

We can help with home safety improvements including:

  • preventing and reducing accidents in the home
  • advising on preventing falls
  • arranging minor repairs and adaptations
  • fitting grab and hand rails
  • creating half steps
  • fitting additional stair rails
  • securing trailing cables
  • securing loose carpets
  • fitting smoke alarms and
  • signposting to other services.
Our case worker or handyperson can carry out a free comprehensive safety check upon request. This includes a room-by-room survey to identify risks like a lack of stair rails, trailing wires and loose mats. We’ll tell you how you can improve the safety of your home.

Advice and information about paying for work

There are a number of ways you can pay for work to your home.

These include:

  • grants or loans from your local borough or district council
  • your savings
  • charities and insurance claims and
  • equity release.
Equity release is when home owners use their homes to give them a regular income or a cash lump sum. The homeowner takes out a mortgage that gets paid back when the property changes owner, and uses the money to repair or adapt their home. You should seek independent financial advice if you’re considering this option.

Loans can be given for work including:

  • new roofs
  • new windows
  • damp-proofing
  • central heating and
  • kitchen and bathroom refurbishments and adaptations.

There are a number of conditions you’ll need to meet to qualify for a loan. We can talk you through these and explain how they apply to you.

We provide advice and practical support to older people who can’t return home following hospital treatment due to changes in their circumstances. This might be due to reduced mobility, problems with bathing or difficulties getting in and out of their home.