Care and Repair
Orbit Care and Repair for Suffolk can help you to improve, repair or adapt your home to make sure it is a safe and comfortable place to live.
We can help if you’re aged 60 and over or have a disability, whether you own your home or rent from a landlord that isn't Orbit.
Please note, if you rent a home from us, you can request home improvements and adaptations direct from us to support your comfort and independence.
Services offered by Care and Repair offer include:
- Home repairs and adaptations
- Handy person service
- Home safety advice and information
- Advice and information on paying for building work
- Hospital discharge
- Housing options
- Assistive technology
We know how important your home is to you. That’s why we provide a range of advice, support and services to help you live in the type of home you want and need, now and long into the future. Our initial advice is always free.
If you live in Suffolk, we can help. Please contact us at:
Suite 4, 1 Northern Way, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP32 6NL
Phone: 0800 121 7711
Our services are outlined below.
Home repairs and adaptations
Our priority is to help you to continue to live independently in your home by providing repairs, improvements and adaptations.
- minor repairs and rewiring
- installing central heating
- replacing your bathroom and kitchen
- provide energy efficiency advice and information
- carrying out structural repairs
- treating damp and dry rot
- fixing drains
- renewing windows and doors
- removing baths and providing level-access showers
- improving access in and around your home i.e. installing ramps or widening doorways
- creating a ground floor bedroom or shower room.
We’ll visit you at home to discuss your options if you’re planning work to your home. We’ll:
- carry out a home survey to discuss the work you need
- give you advice and information on how to pay for the repairs or adaptations
- prepare plans and specifications
- help you to find a reliable contractor
- oversee work on site and deal with payments
- provide support from start to finish.
Handy person service
Our handy person scheme can help you carry out minor repairs and adaptations to your home.
You can use this service if you’re:
- over the age of 60; or
- have a disability or long-term health problem.
We’ll charge you a small amount for the work we do, and ask you to pay for the materials we use. We’ll agree the costs with you before we start work.
- put up curtain rails, shelving and pictures;
- repair doors and windows;
- do plaster work, minor brickwork, plumbing and carpentry;
- install grab or stair rails;
- repair floors;
- fix minor guttering problems (low level only);
- install key safes;
- insulate and install draught proofing.
This scheme is available to you if you’re aged 55 or above, or if you have a disability.
We can help with home safety improvements including:
- preventing and reducing accidents in the home;
- advising on preventing falls;
- arranging minor repairs and adaptations;
- fitting grab and hand rails;
- creating half steps;
- fitting additional stair rails;
- securing trailing cables;
- securing loose carpets;
- fitting smoke alarms; and
- signposting to other services.
Advice and information paying for work
There are a number of ways you can pay for work to your home.
- grants or loans from your local borough or district council;
- your savings;
- charities and insurance claims; and
- equity release.
Loans can be given for work including:
- new roofs;
- new windows;
- central heating; and
- kitchen and bathroom refurbishments and adaptations.
There are a number of conditions you’ll need to meet to qualify for a loan. We can talk you through these and explain how they apply to you.
We provide advice and practical support to older people who can’t return home following hospital treatment due to changes in their circumstances. This might be due to reduced mobility, problems with bathing or difficulties getting in and out of their home.
Your hospital discharge team can arrange for us to carry out a home assessment. We’ll offer advice and practical assistance to allow you to return home in safety and comfort.
We can offer advice on different housing options that are available to you.
Get straight to information about booking repairs, making payments and checking your balance.Quick links