I think I can smell gas – what should I do?
If you smell gas or suspect you have a gas leak:
- leave the property
- telephone the Gas Emergency Services on 0800 111 999 first
- then contact us by phone.
Do not use a mobile or cordless telephone unless you are outside the property away from the suspected leak.
If you have difficulties hearing, you may contact the National Grid by textphone (Minicom) on 0800 371 787.
If you feel it is safe to do so, turn off the gas at the main supply, at the gas meter, then:
- Open all doors and windows to ventilate the property
- Do not use any electrical equipment or turn on/off any lights or sockets Extinguish all naked flames (gas cookers and fires), do not smoke, strike matches or do anything which could cause a spark
- If there is any electrical entry phones/locks/door bells, please look out for the engineer and open the door manually. It is also a good idea to put a note on the door telling people not to use the electrical door entry system or doorbell
- Check to see if a gas tap has been left on or the pilot light has blown out on any gas boilers or appliances.
How often does Orbit service its gas boilers and appliances?
If you rent your home from us, we are legally required to service all gas boilers and provided appliances, and test gas pipework in your home once a year. It is a condition of your tenancy agreement that you co-operate to ensure the safety of you, your family and your neighbours.
We don't provide annual gas servicing for customers who lease or buy a home from us. We strongly recommend all home owners get a gas-safe approved contractor to carry out an annual gas safety check if they have a gas supply to their homes.
Our contractors are Gas Safe register approved. Never undertake any work that involves your boiler or heating system yourself, or allow anyone who does not have Gas Safe registration to do so.
How will I know when the service is due?
We will contact you in good time before the due date of the annual service, offering an appointment. If the appointment is not convenient, you can re-arrange it, but the visit must be before the due date.
Any customer that gives us first time access for their annual gas safety check will be entered into a monthly draw to win one of three £50 shopping voucher prizes. When you receive your letter, be sure to book your appointment in right away so that you'll be in with a chance to win!
Will Orbit service or test my gas cooker?
We do not service or test your own appliances. It is your responsibility to make sure they are operating safely. However, if our engineer notices anything of concern, you will be informed.
What if I miss the appointment or fail to allow access?
Yearly servicing is a legal requirement of a landlord. We follow a set practice of reminders.
If you fail to co-operate you are in breach of your tenancy agreement and we will apply for a court injunction to gain access. If you still refuse, you may lose your home. You will also be liable for all court costs resulting from our attempts to carry out the gas service.
I think there is a fault to my heating or hot water, what should I do?
If you have a fault with your heating or hot water you can book a repair.
We recommend that you check that your heating is working before it gets cold. Turn on your system and if there appears to be an issue, please book a repair.
Why do I have a carbon monoxide detector?
We are now fitting carbon monoxide detectors (CO) in all our homes at the time of annual service. CO has no smell or taste, and is not visible. It is produced when gas burns incorrectly, and can kill. You may experience headaches, drowsiness, stomach and chest pain. You are most in danger whilst sleeping. To help keep yourself and your family safe:
- Do not block the air vents on an appliance.
- Do not block outside grilles, flues or air-bricks.
- Do not use an appliance if you are not sure that it is working properly.
- Watch out for yellow or orange flames, soot and stains, and pilot lights that blow out regularly.
- Always use Gas Safe engineers to fit and service your gas cooker, and make sure that it is safely fastened to the wall.
- Always let our contractors into your home to carry out the annual service check, and let us know if you think the service has not been done.
- Tell us if you are going to install any new gas appliance Have your own appliances checked annually.
- Do not sleep in living rooms which have a back boiler.
- Do not use boiler compartments/ cupboards as storage areas.
Your carbon monoxide detector could save your life. Therefore:
- Follow the test instructions regularly to ensure it is working.
- Never switch off or unplug the detector.
- If the alarm sounds, switch off the gas and contact us by phone as soon as possible.
Book a repair
If there's a fault in your home or in a communal area we manage, let us knowBook a repair
Don’t let anyone into your home that you aren’t expecting and who can’t prove they are representing us. Call the Customer Contact Centre to check their identification. We use external contractors to carry out repair work. These contractors will always carry photo ID. They’ll always tell you before they visit your home, unless it is an emergency.Contact us