Orbit Independent Living offers a diverse range of services. These all have one thing in common: they support our customers to live more independent lives. We don’t believe in a “one size fits all” approach, so we offer you the chance to choose which option suits you best.
We work with partners including community groups, local authorities, managing agents and health professionals to deliver the most effective service and provide accommodation with care and support.
For information on our Home Improvement Agency please see our Care and Repair pages
Download the Orbit Independent Living's calendar
The services we provide are:
- Extra Care
Our vision for Extra Care housing is to develop inspirational and exciting homes for people aged 55 and over. We want each one of our developments to become a centre of excellence. We provide customers with an independent lifestyle, offering a wide range of services and facilities to support this, with the security of having care available on site if they need it.
- Supported housing
These accommodation-based schemes have in-house support. Most are aimed at a particular group, like teenage mothers, homeless people or people with a criminal past. These schemes offer short-term housing, with people staying for a maximum of two years.
The aim of supported housing is to provide a safe environment and to support customers to:
- identify their needs and requirements
- develop confidence and self-esteem
- gain independent living and social skills
- access other services, including training, education and employment
- meet cultural needs
- secure and move on to more permanent accommodation.
- Sheltered housing
These schemes allow older people to continue to be independent. Each person has their own flat or bungalow, with access to communal facilities like a lounge, kitchen and assisted bathrooms. Many schemes offer regular activities.
Our sheltered schemes aim to:
- provide affordable, pleasant, well-maintained, high-quality accommodation
- promote the independence of older people and increase their confidence by offering them the chance to be part of a supportive community and the opportunity to live in a purpose-built home with appropriate facilities
- offer a range of activities, reduced fear of crime, the reassurance of a maintained home and garden, and the support and assistance of scheme staff
- treat all customers as individuals and encourage them to have a say in everything that affects their daily lives. We take all comments and feedback seriously
- ensure all customers receive appropriate levels of care from relevant agencies.
Sheltered schemes generally offer:
- staff members who provide support, advice and emergency on call help. Our staff are on site for several hours each weekday. Outside of these hours, emergency help is provided through the response unit
- facilities like guest bedrooms, assisted bathrooms, lifts, scooter store and a laundry. Please note: not all of these facilities are available in all of our schemes.
- quiet areas and communal lounges for social and leisure activities
- support from external organisations
- an emergency line to the Orbit response unit
- attractive and well-maintained gardens.
Staff in sheltered housing can’t:
- provide personal care
- administer drugs or medicines
- collect pensions or handle personal finances
- collect shopping
- clean homes
- cook or provide meals
- provide transport or give lifts.
- Very Sheltered Housing
These schemes are for people who need help to live independently in their own home. Customers receive care and support 24 hours a day. These schemes have communal facilities and specialist bathrooms. They’re regulated and inspected by the Care Quality Commission.
Orbit Independent Living is funded through a number of sources. These include:
- Supporting People money
- Primary Care Trust funding
- rental and service charge income
- managing agent fees
- other charitable income.
We work with customers to assess their needs and plan a package of support that’ll help them develop skills, confidence and personal networks so they can live as independently as possible. We’re committed to empowering and involving our customers.
We work in partnership with other organisations to provide supported housing and/or care to vulnerable people. These organisations are called managing agents.
Orbit Independent Living is regulated by organisations including the following:
- Supporting People teams
- the Care Quality Commission where care is provided
- its stakeholders and people providing funding
- the local authority
- Primary Care Trusts
- environmental health.