Helping you stay safe online
Staying safe online is important for all of us, whether you’re just starting to use the internet or you’re a digital pro. You can do a lot to keep your information safe by understanding the essentials of online safety.
- Shop safely online by recognising how to tell if your online payment will be secure.
- Control who can see information about you and your family on social media sites such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Understand how the information you share online (your ‘digital footprint’) could affect what others think about you (for example your potential employers).
We recommend visiting the following websites for advice about how to keep your information safe and how to use the web responsibly.
- The Get Safe Online website provides advice, alerts and information about security risks and using the internet safely.
- Parents and carers can find lots of useful resources and advice from Childnet and the NSPCC.
- Professionals working with children can find advice and support from Childnet's Teachers and Professionals website and from the Safer Internet Centre's free helpline.