Discounts and Grants
As our customer you could qualify for one of the following discounts or grants to help you pay your energy bills:
This is a Government scheme which requires the big suppliers (listed below) to help vulnerable customers pay for energy. On qualification, customers will get a £140 rebate on electricity bills for the winter of 2014/2015. The amount is taken off the bill or given as a voucher and not given in cash
Click here for more information.
Core group - automatic eligibility
You should automatically be eligible if the following criteria applied to you on the qualifying date – 12 July 2014:
- you are the named person (or partner of the named person) on the electricity bill
- you are getting Guarantee Pension Credit (even if also in receipt of Savings Pension Credit)
People in the above categories should automatically get the rebate although some may be asked to supply some further information before they can get it.
If the above applies and you have not received this rebate you need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions on 0845 603 9439 by 30 January 2015 to confirm eligibility.
Broader group – discretionary eligibility
If you are on a low income you may also qualify, but it will be up to your supplier to decide whether they can get the Warm Home Discount. You may be eligible if you are on a low income and you have a disability, long-term illness or children. The criteria used will vary depending on your supplier.
If you fall within the broader group and you are considering changing supplier, it may be worth checking to see if they will fulfil the criteria for the Warm Home Discount or if it would be better to change to a supplier whose criteria fit your circumstances.
The following suppliers are part of the scheme:
· Manweb - see ScottishPower
- you may get a Cold Weather payment if you’re getting certain benefits
- payments are made when the temperature where you live hits, or is forecast to hit, an average of 0oc or less over 7 consecutive days
- you’ll get a payment of £25 for each time this happens between 1 November and 31 March
- visit the Government’s cold weather payment pages for more information.
You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help you pay your heating bills if you were born on or a specific date, check the governments website to check your eligibility. This payment is called a Winter Fuel payment.
- most payments are made between November and December
- you usually get a Winter Fuel payment automatically if you’re claiming a state pension or another social security benefit. This doesn’t include housing benefit, council tax reduction or child benefit
- if you qualify but don’t get paid automatically, you’ll need to make a claim
- visit the Government’s winter fuel payment information pages for more information.